This sketch summarizes what happens in a SWMM 5 Subcatchment for Horton Infiltration during a storm event:
1. The event starts out with the potential infiltration rate at the maximum infiltration rate but
2. Decay starts happening right away and the potential infiltration rate starts decreasing until it reaches the minimum infiltration rate (assuming the storm last long enough),
3. The actual infiltration rate is the minimum of the rainfall rate or the potential infiltration rate,
4. Using the Huff distributions for rainfall the runoff does not start happening until the rainfall rate exceeds the potential infiltration rate in these models
5. The runoff ceases after the rainfall rate becomes less than the current potential infiltration rate later in the storm,
6. The maximum infiltration volume for Horton caps the storm event infiltration at 10 mm in this example, the infiltration will cease when the cumulative infiltration reaches 10 mm.
7. Horton Iniltration is a five parameter method
a. Maximum infiltration rate in mm/hour
b. Minimum infiltration rate in mm/hour
c. Decay rate for the change from maximum to minimum infiltration rate
d. Regeneration rate for the change from minimum to maximum infiltration rate after the storm event ends and
e. A maximum infiltration volume per storm event in millimeters
Autodesk Technologist with Information about Stormwater Management Model (SWMM) for watershed water quality, hydrology and hydraulics modelers (Note this blog is not associated with the EPA). You will find Blog Posts on the Subjects of SWMM5, ICM SWMM, ICM InfoWorks, InfoSWMM and InfoSewer.
Thursday, August 23, 2012
How Does Horton Infiltration Work in SWMM 5?
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Blog strategy to explain complex modeling concepts to non-modelers, while highlighting the beauty and majesty of domain knowledge:
B log strategy to explain complex modeling concepts to non-modelers, while highlighting the beauty and majesty of domain knowledge: Title : ...
@Innovyze User forum where you can ask questions about our Water and Wastewater Products http://t.co/dwgCOo3fSP pic.twitter.com/R0QKG2dv...
Subject: Detention Basin Basics in SWMM 5 What are the basic elements of a detention pond in SWMM 5? They are common in our back...
Engine Error Number Description ERROR 101: memory allocation error. ...
Post a Comment